The American Health Lawyers Association will be hiring a 1st or 2nd year law student of diversity to intern at the Association’s headquarters in Washington, DC during the summer of 2012. The 8-week health law internship will provide extensive legal research and writing projects as well as networking opportunities with leading health law attorneys in the industry. The intern will attend AHLA’s Annual Meeting in Chicago (June 26-27, 2012) where he/she will be able to take advantage of excellent CLE programs on hot topics and timely health law and policy issues.
The attached job description contains further details about qualifications, salary, and duties. Interested students must email a formal cover letter and resume to Cynthia Conner, Vice President of Professional Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 6, 2012. No phone calls please.
AMERICAN HEALTH LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
1620 Eye Street, NW, 6th Floor
“DIVERSITY IN HEALTH LAW” SUMMER INTERNSHIP
Duration of Internship:
June through Mid-August, 2012. Preferred start date early June, 2012.
Nominal monetary stipend will be provided throughout the eight week period (paid bi-monthly). This payment is based on an approximate 30 hour work week.
- 1L or 2L at an ABA-accredited law school
- Law student is of diverse background
- Excellent writing, editing, research and analytical skills
- Assist (80%) the Vice President and Managing Editor of Professional Resources by:
- Editing the Journal of Health and Life Sciences Law, including cite-checking
- Editing the Health Lawyers Weekly
- Editing Practice Group newsletters and member briefings
- Writing case summaries for the Health Law Digest
- Interviewing leaders and writing special profiles for the Health Lawyers Weekly
- Monitoring and identifying legal developments in health law
- Attending Professional Resources staff meetings
- Assist (20%) Senior Manager of Public Interest by:
- Editing documents in the Public Information Series
- Researching topics for the Conversations with Policymakers series
- Assisting in the marketing of Public Interest resources
- Researching various fundraising initiatives
- Attending public interest staff meetings
- Assisting with efforts and initiatives of the Association’s Diversity Council
Aside from writing, researching and editing, the law student intern will also:
- Attend networking lunches with local health attorneys from small and large firms, solo practitioners, government attorneys, in-house counsel, etc.
- Attend the AHLA Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL (June 25 – June 27, 2012), a major networking opportunity with health lawyers from around the country while attending select CLE programs and other programs related to the conference.
To apply for this internship, please send a formal cover letter and resume to Cynthia Conner, Vice President of Professional Resources at email@example.com.