Below is information regarding McGuireWoods’s new Diversity Scholarship Program:
DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
$5,000 Scholarships for Diverse First-Year Law Students
McGuireWoods defines diversity as recognizing and valuing the differences in our workforce. To us, diversity encompasses age, sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, as well as educational, economic and professional backgrounds.
We are pleased to announce our first Diversity Scholarship Program that will award up to eight $5,000 scholarships to diverse first-year law students who are committed to contributing to and supporting diversity within the legal profession. Applicants are considered based on their involvement in community activities and diversity-related student organizations, demonstrated leadership, and personal and undergraduate academic achievement.
Consistent with the objective of promoting diversity in legal education and leadership roles in the legal profession, McGuireWoods will also consider additional criteria including, among other factors, whether the applicant is:
• First family member to attend college.
• From an economically disadvantaged family.
• A member of a group currently underrepresented in law schools and law firms.
• From a family with little or no legal education or experience.
• From a school whose graduates are historically underrepresented in law schools.
• Strongly committed to promoting diversity in his or her undergraduate school or community, and has demonstrated that commitment.
Application Packet Contents
• Completed application form.
• Current resume.
• Undergraduate and law school transcripts (photocopies of official transcripts are acceptable).
• Personal statement (1,500 words or fewer) explaining your commitment to diversity in the legal profession, community involvement and personal achievements. Tell us something that is not on your resume.
• Professional letter of recommendation from an undergraduate or law professor.
Application packet must be received by May 15, 2011. Scholarships will be awarded July 1, 2011, and will be paid directly to the law school. Send materials via U.S. mail, e-mail or fax to:
Ann D. McGhee
Firmwide Manager of Attorney Recruiting
McGuireWoods LLP 901
East Cary Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219